The Aberdeen Development Corporation is a private non-profit corporation with the mission of primary job creation. Incorporated in 1955, the Aberdeen Development Corporation is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, staffed by six full-time employees and one part-time intern.
The corporation owns over 400 acres of developed and undeveloped land and several buildings. Developing the industrial and back-office economic base of Aberdeen and the region is our business. The corporation has worked with such notable companies as 3M, BAE Systems, Hub City, Inc., Midstates Printing, TCF Aerovent, Banner Engineering, Molded Fiber Glass Companies and many more.
Historical Growth and Development
The Aberdeen Development Corporation was founded by a group of visionaries who recognized the need to entice new businesses and industry to the Aberdeen area. These five civic minded citizens included: Bernard F. Martin, Robert F. Gorder, N. P. Wenge, Henry J. Schmitt, and Chester Lind.
The Aberdeen Development Corporation began developing properties in the early 1960’s. The first was the Aberdeen Industrial Park. Vertex Company, later purchased by Cardinal Tool, was the first company to locate in the park in 1963. In 1967, the park was further developed with streets, sewer, water and streetlights.
Original funding came primarily from the City of Aberdeen and the Brown County Commission. Early amounts were modest, but appreciated.
The first Executive Vice President was Gus Ruland, followed by Dave Cady, Frank Kraft, Cal Engel and Jim Barringer. Michael Bockorny is currently at the helm.
The Aberdeen Development Corporation is a 501 C(6) nonprofit corporation.